Mold Removal Remediation
Find Mold In Your Home?
Before you can do any mold removal and remediation in your home, you first have to fix the water source issue. Once the source of the water/moisture is fixed, then you can begin the mold remediation project. Be sure to hire a professional mold remediation company that can come in, test the affected area and write you a proper estimate.
Proper Mold Removal
Not removing mold properly in your home or business can lead to a much larger issue for both your property and your health. You don’t want to end up with mold in one part of your home before the remediation process and end up with an entire house full of mold at the end. Unfortunately, this can happen if the mold is not properly contained and removed. Here is a general guide of the mold removal process that you can expect on your property.
- Mold Testing – before any work begins, you need to get the suspected area tested by an industrial hygienist. The IH will provide you with a written protocol which will act as the step by step procedure (protocol) to follow for the mold remediation.
Mold Inspection, Testing, Remediation
- Mold Removal – every mold removal process can be a little different, but this is a general guideline of what needs to happen on every mold damage project.
- Containment Barrier – the area where the mold is located, needs to be correctly enclosed from the remaining parts of the structure. All vents and exposed areas have to be closed. This will protect the rest of the structure from cross-contamination during the removal process.
- Air Quality Control – we set up air scrubbers to “scrub” the air to assist in removing the mold spores that get airborne. Building Material Removal – Removing the affected building material (drywall, baseboard, etc.).
- Anti-Microbial Cleaning – we hand clean the entire affected area with an anti-microbial solution.
- HEPA Vacuuming – we use HEPA vacuums to final clean the entire affected area.
- Clearance Testing – once all the mold is removed and the area is clean, the industrial hygienist will come back out and complete another air quality test for clearance. The goal here is to have the mold spore count at or below the mold spore count outdoors of the affected property. Once this happens, the structure is safe to re-enter and habitable.
Black Mold Removal
When people see black mold, they often refer to it as the dreaded black mold, Stachybotrys. Truth is many types of mold can be black but not Stachybotrys, and just because a mold might not be the dreaded Stachybotrys doesn’t mean it’s not harmful as well. In general, exposure to mold spores can result in allergic reactions, infections, or toxic (poisonous) effects. These health effects are the result of exposure by skin contact, ingestion, or breathing the mold. Stachybotrys exposure is linked to allergic reactions.
Common Symptoms of Black Mold
- Eye Irritation
- Watering of the eyes and nose
- Skin irritation
- Fatigue and weakness
- Metal taste in the mouth
Black mold removal is a serious project and shouldn’t be a DIY project. Hire a professional mold removal company when you find black mold in your home.
Water Damage14,000 people experience water damage at home or work every day. Make sure you are prepared on what to do.
Fire DamageProperty fire damage cleanup. We are a general contractor and can manage your fire project from beginning to end.
Commercial ConstructionHave a new commercial building project? Hallmark Mitigation & Construction has more than 25 years of commercial experience.
Should I call my insurance first?
No, not necessarily. The issue with mold is that either your insurance won’t cover the removal and remediation, or there is very limited coverage. What a lot of homeowners don’t realize is that when you call your insurance company regarding any type of loss, that call goes into your Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange (C.L.U.E.) report. It contains a seven-year snapshot of info about you, including a list of any claims you’ve made. This impact your premiums going forward, get a mold restoration professional to evaluate the potential damage first.
Can mold spread from one of my house to another?
Is any mold not harmful?
Mold is around us everywhere at all times. Inside your home, business, and all of outdoors. While some molds are not nearly as dangerous as Stachybotrys, like Penicillin, every type of mold is dangerous at a high enough exposure.
How did I get mold?
Mold needs three things to grow, moisture, food and optimal temperature. The first thing to investigate and fix is the moisture issue. Once you repair this either through a leaky pipe or roof leak, you will stop the growth of mold.